Why Do We Keep Buying The Advertisements???
Okay, I'm going to lay it out for you here in print. All of the facts listed are pretty easy to find on the internet. That is, as long as you are not looking at a site that the cola companies have paid for....
"Water, or Coke??"
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down ones metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
1. In many states in the USA, the highway patrol carries two liters of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in 2 days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl, and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stain from vitreous china.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumbers: Rub the bumper with a crumpled piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Apply a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. 30 minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptious brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of Coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
For your information:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leeches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup, (the concentrate), the commercial truck must use the hazardous material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years.
Now the question is...would you like a glass of water?
I read an article in our local newspaper today, and, lucky you, I'm going to address it. It's the story of a bathroom...
Have you ever been in a store trying to spend your hard earned money, when that familiar urgency hits you? You know you must have relief, and soon. That cappacino has taken effect, and its time has come. You approach a store clerk and politely, but desperately ask, "Where is your restroom?"
Does this sound familiar, so far? Stay with me, it gets better.
Upon asking him/her this slightly embarrassing question, the clerk looks at you strangely, and either answers honestly and tells you that they do not have a 'public' restroom, or he/she says, and I love this one, "I'm sorry, we don't have a restroom". Do they honestly expect us to believe that they work the entire day with their legs crossed, dreaming of quitting time when they can go home and finally relieve themselves? While this would explain some of the attitudes and strange faces we get from them sometimes, it's really a complete and total crock.
How many parents of small children have been denied access to the facilities when their children were obviously on the verge of having an accident?
Now, allow me to take you back to the article I read in todays newspaper. It is great news! Our fair city has just finished building a beautiful new facility downtown. A restroom for all of those shoppers who have been left without a pot to........well, you know. A very nice brick structure. Beautiful, and modern. All at a cost of just $145, 000.
One local businessman, the owner of a fine downtown art gallery, had this to say. "When a customer has to leave downtown to use the restroom, we have lost that customer."
Guess what? His art gallery does not have a public restroom either. Does that light anyone elses fuse? Hello? I, personally, have been to this mans incredible gallery. It's filled with amazing pieces. Ranging in price from a few dollars, to several thousand dollars. My question is, if he truly believes that there is a need downtown for public restrooms, and that the lack of public facilities hurts his business, why is it that his store has no public restroom?
While I understand that there is the cost of upgrading the private restroom, and the personal maintenance of said toilet. Does this justify spending $145, 000 of taxpayers money? Our money. The very people that the restrooms are for? Yes. Yet, for the purpose of enhancing the private business owners establishment. We're paying for their business boost.
To say that I am outraged is making too light of the subject. I cannot believe that people stand for this sort of thing.
The average American people, spend a combined total of billions of dollars a year in retail purchases. Is it asking too much that the businesses that are taking in this money shoulder the cost of acquiring and maintaining a public restroom in their own place of business?
A personal gripe...yes, but is it unreasonable?
Do me, and yourself a favor. The next time you are at a place of business that does not have a public restroom, make a very PUBLIC complaint. If they can't, (won't actually), maintain a public restroom, perhaps they are not worthy of our patronage at all.
Just something to think about........
Our musical director wasn't happy with the performance of one of our percussionists. Repeated attempts to get the drummer to improve failed.
Finally, in front of the entire orchestra, the director said in frustration, "When a musician just can't handle his instrument, they take it away, give him two sticks and make him a drummer!"
A stage whisper was heard from the percussion section: "And if he can't handle that, they take away one of his sticks and make him a conductor."
-Readers Digest, August 2002
Why do they lock gas station
bathrooms? Are they afraid
somebody will clean them?
-Readers Digest August 2002
What Goes A-'Round' Comes Around
Barry and Will were having a slow round of golf because
the two female players in front of them managed to get into
every sand trap and rough on the course. Finally, Barry
said, "I'll go ask if we can play through."
He walked up the fairway, got halfway to the ladies,
then turned around and came back, his face bright red.
"I can't do it," he said. "One of them is my wife, and the
other one is my mistress! You'd better go instead."
Will walked toward the ladies, got halfway there,
turned around and came back. "Small world," he said.
-Readers Digest August 2002
They have finally found a diagnosis for my condition! I have recently been diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. . . . Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.
This is how it goes. I decide to wash the car. I start toward the garage and notice the mail on the table. Ok, I'm going to wash the car, but first I'm going to go through the mail. I lay the car keys down on the desk, discard the junk mail, and notice the trash can is full. Ok, I'll just put the bills on my desk and take the trash can out, but since I'm going to be near the mailbox anyway, I'll pay these few bills first. Now, where is my checkbook? Oops, there's only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk. Oh, there's the Coke I was drinking. I'm going to look for those checks. But first I need to put my Coke further away from the computer. Oh, maybe I'll pop it into the fridge to keep it cold for a while. I head towards the kitchen and my flowers catch my eye - they need some water. I set the Coke on the counter and . . . uh-oh . . . there are my glasses. I was looking for them all morning. I'd better put them away first. I fill a container with water and head for the flower pots . . . Aaaaaagh!
Someone left the TV remote in the kitchen. We'll never think to look in the
kitchen tonight when we want to watch television, so I'd better put it back in
the family room where it belongs. I splash some water into the pots (and onto the floor), throw the remote onto a soft cushion on the sofa, and head back down the hall, trying to figure out what it was I was going to do.
End of Day: The car isn't washed, the bills are unpaid, the Coke is sitting on the kitchen counter, the flowers are half-watered, the checkbook still only has one check in it, and I can't seem to find my car keys. When I try to figure out how come nothing got done today, I'm baffled because I KNOW I WAS BUSY ALL DAY LONG!!!
Please copy this and send to everyone you know because I can't remember who I have already sent it to.
A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later..
"Im thirsty. Can you bring me a drink of water?"
"No. You had your chance. Lights out."
Five minutes after that..
"Im THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??"
"I told you, NO! If you ask again, Ill have to spank you!!"
Five minutes after that..
"When you come in to spank me, can you bring me a drink of water?"
An exasperated mother, whose son was always getting into mischief, finally asked him, "How do you expect to get into Heaven?"
The boy thought it over and said, "Well, Ill run in and out, and in and out, and keep slamming the door until St. Peter says, 'For Heavens sake, Dylan, come in or stay out!'."
One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm a mother was tucking her son into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you sleep with me tonight?"
The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug. "I cant dear", she said. "I have to sleep in Daddys room."
A long silence was broken, at last, by his shaky little voice, "The big sissy."
One day the first grade teacher was reading the story of Chicken Little to her class. She came to the part of the story where Chicken Little tried to warn the farmer. She read, "and so Chicken Little went up to the farmer and said, 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling!'."
The teacher paused, then asked the class, "And what do you think that farmer said?"
One little girl raised her hand and said, "I think he said, 'No way! A talking chicken!'."
5 Rediculous Places You Can't Smoke
Sure smoking is bad for you, but come on....
1. State prison, Maine. A cigarette fetches $10 on the black market there.
2. Your yard, Montgomery County, Md. If smoke wafts onto your neighbor's property, you face a $750 fine.
3. Bars, Eugene, Ore. Following Californias lead, this city proclaimed "last call" for all who thought a drink and a smoke went hand in hand.
4. Bowling alleys, Putnam County, N. Y. The ban affects exactly one establishment.
5. Your co-op, 180 West End Ave., NYC. If new owners light up, the board will boot them.
(Excerpts from Readers Digest August 2002 Issue)
"What do you have to do to become a doctor?" my six year old granddaughter once asked.
Her dad, seeing an opportunity, said, "You have to do extremely well in school, take a lot of math and science, get into an excellent college, make the highest grades possible and then go on to med school and follow that with an internship. Then you can start your own practice. Honey, as smart as you are, you can be anything you want to be."
Erin gave all of this a moments thought and then asked, "What do you have to do to be queen?"
Hey campers. Just want to make a quick note of an old book. It's not about monsters, wizards, or murder. It's a book that was read to the class when I was in grade school. All these years I've remembered it, and now I'm reading it to my own, 7 year old, son.
The book, "Follow My Leader", by James B. Garfield. It's a fictional story about an average 11 year old boy, who through childhood mischievousness is blinded. It's a very real tale of his struggles and triumphs, written by someone who should know.
James Garfield, himself, overcame the 'handicap' of blindness. He wrote this book with his own feelings and memories in mind. It's written in a way that allows you to feel what the main character, Jimmy, is feeling.
The original printing of this book was way back in 1957, so don't be surprised that some of the language and slang, is a little dated. Yet, a little bit of the past is kind of refreshing. The book reeks of wholesome, and decent times.
If you can find it at your local library, pick up this book. It's really easy reading, and it'll make you be thankful for what you have, understand the blind a little better, and make you feel good, all at once.
Starring- Tobey McGuire
Recently saw the film. Loved it. 'Nuff said.
But...that would just be too easy. Too much should be said for this new version, of an old idea.
First of all, Tobey McGuire is an awesome Peter Parker. He is totally believable in an unbelievable role. When he discovers and explores his mutant abilities, you believe he is shocked and amazed. It's not an easy thing to pull off a live action part in a comic book story.
Mr. Osborn, the villain, is so evil, you are scared of him before he even turns bad. They picked the perfect guy for this role, as well. He is the Green Goblin. One look at his scary face, and you're thankful for the mask when it comes later.
Overall, I was impressed and entertained by this movie. It had quite a lot of action, but was mild enough for my son to watch it, too. The violence was tastefully done, and in a way so as not to scare young viewers.
So, hey, when you get the opportunity, on pay-per-view or when the video is released check this one out. Obviously folks who aren't into these kinds of flicks won't be interested, but for those with tendencies toward the comic type stories.....You'll Love It!!